The Chancellor

Joe Flax’17 Signs To Play D-1 Football With USAFA

courtesy+photo
courtesy photo

courtesy photo

courtesy photo

Brianna Romme, Staff Writer

Senior Joe Flax started the 2016 football season with just one goal in mind…to just have an amazing last season with his fellow teammates. He reached that goal and was introduced to another– playing at the collegiate level. On Feb. 1, 2017, Flax signed with the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado to play football in the fall of 2017.

Prior to committing, Flax had planned to attend Kansas State University and join the ROTC program. Without the senior knowing, first year Head Football Coach, Jason Cauley, sent video highlights of Flax to multiple colleges including USAFA.

“When Joe told me he was interested in going into ROTC in college, I immediately emailed the Air Force Academy football recruiting coordinator with his film and bio,” said Coach Cauley, “They weren’t currently looking at Joe, but his film and the contact made a sudden impact on their impression of him.”

Flax became the most recent Division-I football player for TMP-M.  The last D-1 football player was TJ Gottschalk ’00 who signed with the University of Wyoming. Prior to that, the most recent D-1 athlete for the Monarchs was Heather Ruder ’13 who ran track for Kansas State University.

“Meeting the coaching staff at Air Force was one of the most pleasant experiences of my life. The highly respectable and honorable group of men are people who inspire me and put me in a state of awe,” said Flax, “It was if I was meeting my long lost family, and they made me feel as if I belonged.”

While his memories at TMP-Marian with his friends will last a lifetime, this once in a lifetime opportunity to play at the collegiate level takes the cake for his football career, but Flax already knew he wasn’t done playing the game.

“As I was walking off the field in my last game against Norton, I stopped at the 50 yard line and thought to myself, ‘This won’t be the last time I suit up for this great game on this great field.'”

• Joe Flax’17 Signs To Play D-1 Football With USAFA

Football

Football Team Snaps 12-Game Losing Streak

News

State Soccer

• News

It’s More Than Blood, It’s a Life

Cross Country

State Cross Country

News

CYO Haunted House

News

Oklahoma

• Academics

Favorite Memories

• Golf

Looking Back on State Golf

• Cross Country

Cross Country 2018

• News

Soccer 2018

The Student News Site of Thomas More Prep Marian Jr/Sr High School