The Chancellor

It’s More Than Blood, It’s a Life

Morgan Staab, journalist/editor

This year I turned sixteen, and I was so excited when our annual blood drive came around because I was finally old enough to donate blood, but I was unable to because I didn’t weigh enough. At first, I’ll admit, I was upset and I never thought I’d be mad about wanting to weigh more instead of less. I think the only reasoning behind it was that I wanted to do something good. It’s amazing to think that a small donation of my blood could save someone’s life. I’ve never really thought about donating blood until I read what it could actually do for people who need it. Granted the website I looked on was a very small window of information, but it was still odd to think that something as small as that could change my whole perspective on something I already knew was good. Did you know that nearly every two seconds there is someone in the United States who needs a blood transfusion? There are roughly thirty-eight percent of people in the U.S. who are eligible to donate blood, but out of those thirty-eight percent only about ten percent actually donate. That just amazes me to be honest. I’ve always known donating is important, but I’ve never realized how much. So I challenge you, next time you see a sign announcing an approaching blood drive think about donating, or if you are unable to, ask a friend or adult who is eligible to think about it. The requirements for height and weight are listed below. Keep in mind that just one pint of blood can save up to three people’s lives.

The Student News Site of Thomas More Prep Marian Jr/Sr High School
It’s More Than Blood, It’s a Life